1. You may drive off of the paved roadway to pass another vehicle:
If the shoulder is wide enough to accommodate your vehicle
If the vehicle ahead of you is turning left.
Under no circumstances
2. You are approaching a railroad crossing with no warning devices and are unable to see 400 feet down the tracks in one direction. The speed limit is:
3. When parking your vehicle parallel to the curb on a level street.
Your front wheels must be turned toward the street.
Your wheels must be within 18 inches of the curb.
One of your rear wheels must touch the curb.
4. When you are merging onto the freeway, you should be driving:
At or near the same speed as the traffic on the freeway.
5 to 10 MPH slower than the traffic on the freeway.
The posted speed limit for traffic on the freeway.
5. When driving in fog, you should use your:
Fog lights only.
6. A white painted curb means:
Loading zone for freight or passengers.
Loading zone for passengers or mail only.
Loading zone for freight only.
7. A school bus ahead of you in your lane is stopped with red lights flashing. You should:
Stop, then proceed when you think all of the children have exited the bus.
Slow to 25 MPH and pass cautiously.
Stop as long as the red lights are flashing.
8. California's "Basic Speed Law" says:
You should never drive faster than posted speed limits.
You should never drive faster than is safe for current conditions.
The maximum speed limit in California is 70 mph on certain freeways.
9. You just sold your vehicle. You must notify the DMV within ___ days.
10. To avoid last minute moves, you should be looking down the road to where your vehicle will be in about ______________.
5 to 10 seconds
10 to 15 seconds
15 to 20 seconds
11. You are about to make a left turn. You must signal continuously during the last ____ feet before the turn.
12. Which of the following statements about blind spots is true?
They are eliminated if you have one outside mirror on each side of the vehicle.
Large trucks have bigger blind spots than most passenger vehicles.
Blind spots can be checked by looking in your rear view mirrors.
13. You have been involved in a minor traffic collision with a parked vehicle and you can't find the owner. You must:
Leave a note on the vehicle.
Report the accident without delay to the city police or, in unincorporated areas, to the CHP.
Both of the above.
14. Unless otherwise posted the speed limit in a residential area is ____.
15. You may legally block an intersection:
When you entered the intersection on the green light.
During rush hour traffic.
Under no circumstances.
16. When parking uphill on a two-way street with no curb, your front wheels should be:
Turned to the left (toward the street).
Turned to the right (away from the street).
Parallel with the pavement.
17. With a Class C drivers license a person may drive:
A 3-axle vehicle if the Gross Vehicle Weight is less than 6,000 pounds.
Any 3-axle vehicle regardless of the weight.
A vehicle pulling two trailers.
18. To turn left from a multilane one-way street onto a one-way street, you should start your turn from:
Any lane (as long as it is safe)
The lane closest to the left curb
The lane in the center of the road.
19. If you are involved in a traffic collision, you are required to complete and submit a written report (SR1) to the DMV:
Only if you or the other driver is injured.
If there is property damage in excess of $500 or if there are any injuries.
Only if you are at fault.
20. Roadways are the most slippery:
During a heavy downpour.
After it has been raining for awhile.
The first rain after a dry spell.
21. You may not park your vehicle:
On the side of the freeway in an emergency.
Next to a red painted curb.
Within 100 feet of an elementary school.
22. You must notify the DMV within 5 days if you:
Sell or transfer your vehicle.
Fail a smog test for your vehicle.
Get a new prescription for lenses or contacts.
23. Two sets of solid, double, yellow lines that are two or more feet apart:
May be crossed to enter or exit a private driveway.
May not be crossed for any reason.
Should be treated as a separate traffic lane.
24. You want to make a right turn at an upcoming intersection. You should slow down and:
Move toward the left side of your lane.
Avoid driving in the bicycle lane.
Signal for 100 feet before turning.
25. You are driving on a freeway posted for 65 MPH. The traffic is traveling at 70 MPH. You may legally drive:
75 MPH or less.
70 MPH or less.
65 MPH or less.
26. It is illegal to park your vehicle:
In an unmarked crosswalk.
Within three feet of a private driveway.
In a bicycle lane.
27. The safest precaution that you can take regarding the use of cellular phones and driving is:
Use hands-free devices so you can keep both hands on the steering wheel.
Keep your phone within easy reach so you won't need to take your eyes off the road.
Pull over to the side of the road to use your cellular phone.
28. If you have a green light, but traffic is blocking the intersection, you should:
Stay out of the intersection until traffic clears.
Enter the intersection and wait until traffic clears.
Merge into another lane and try to go around the traffic.
29. You are getting ready to make a right turn. You should:
Stop first and then proceed when it is safe.
Stop before entering the right lane and let all other traffic go first.
Slow down or stop, if necessary, and then make the turn.
30. You must obey instructions from school crossing guards:
At all times.
Only during school hours.
Unless you do not see any children present.
31. It is a very windy day. You are driving and a dust storm blows across the freeway reducing your visibility. You should drive slower and turn on your:
32. If you plan to pass another vehicle, you should:
Not assume the other driver will make space for you to return to your lane.
Assume the other driver will let you pass if you use your turn signal.
Assume the other driver will maintain a constant speed.
33. You are driving on a freeway posted for 65 mph. Most of the other vehicles are driving 70 mph or faster. You may legally drive:
70 mph or faster to keep up with the speed of traffic.
Between 65 mph and 70 mph.
No faster than 65 mph.
34. If you drive faster than other vehicles on a road with one lane in each direction and continually pass the other cars, you will:
Get you to your destination much faster and safer.
Increase your chances of an accident.
Help prevent traffic congestion.
35. Which of these vehicles must always stop before crossing railroad tracks?
Tank trucks marked with hazardous materials placards.
Motor homes or pickup trucks towing a boat trailer.
Any vehicle with 3 or more axles or weighing more than 4,000 pounds.
36. You are driving on a one-way street. You may turn left onto another one-way street only if:
A sign permits the turn.
Traffic on the street moves to the right.
Traffic on the street moves to the left.
37. A large truck is ahead of you and is turning right onto a street with two lanes in each direction. The truck:
May complete its turn in either of the two lanes.
May have to swing wide to complete the right turn.
Must stay in the right lane at all times while turning.
8. You may cross a double, yellow line to pass another vehicle, if the yellow line next to:
The other side of the road is a solid line.
Your side of the road is a broken line.
The other side of the road is a broken line.
39. At intersections, crosswalks, and railroad crossings, you should always::
Stop, listen, and proceed cautiously.
Look to the sides of your vehicle to see what is coming.
Slowly pass vehicles that seem to be stopped for no reason.
40. You drive defensively when you:
Always put one car length between you and the car ahead.
Look only at the car in front of you while driving.
Keep your eyes moving to look for possible hazards.
41. You are driving on the freeway. The vehicle in front of you is a large truck. You should drive:
Closely behind the truck in bad weather because the driver can see father ahead.
Farther behind the truck than you would for a passenger vehicle.
No more than one car length behind the truck so the driver can see you.
42. All of the following practices are dangerous to do while driving. Which of these is also illegal?
Listening to music through headphones that cover both ears
Adjusting your outside mirrorsl.
Transporting an unrestrained animal inside the vehicle.
43. Always stop before you cross railroad tracks when:
You don't have room on the other side to completely cross the tracks.
The railroad crossing is located in a city or town that has frequent train traffic.
You transport two or more young children in a passenger vehicle.
44. When you tailgate other drivers (drive close to their rear bumper):
You can frustrate the other drivers and make them angry.
Your actions cannot result in a traffic citation.
You help reduce traffic congestion.
45. Should you always drive slower than other traffic?
No, you can block traffic when you drive too slowly.
Yes, it is a good defensive driving technique.
Yes, it is always safer than driving faster than other traffic.
46. You see a signal person at a road construction site ahead. You should obey his or her instructions:
Only if you see orange cones on the road ahead.
Unless they conflict with existing signs, signals, or laws.
At all times.
47. When can you drive in a bike lane?
During rush hour traffic if there are no bicyclists in the bike lane.
When you are within 200 feet of a cross street where you plan to turn right.
When you want to pass a driver ahead of you who is turning right.
48. You see a flashing yellow traffic signal at an upcoming intersection. The flashing yellow light means:
Stop before entering the intersection as long as you can do so safely.
Stop. Yield to all cross traffic before crossing the intersection.
Slow down and cross the intersection carefully.
49. There is no crosswalk and you see a pedestrian crossing your lane ahead. You should:
Make eye contact and then pass him/her.
Slow down as you pass him/her.
Stop and let him/her finish crossing the street.
50. A solid yellow line next to a broken yellow line means that vehicles:
In both directions may pass.
Next to the broken line may pass.
Next to the solid line may pass.